Monday, January 21, 2008

a week with no ending

Rabbits are outside my back door, setting off the motion light. They're eating the burnt crusts of some bread I'd thrown out there last night -- burnt because I was so out of it yesterday I forgot to flour the baking pan, which is just a dumb oversight for someone who bakes as much as I have. At least the rabbits get some nourishment from it. Ugh. The rest of the bread was fine, once I peeled off the outer husk.

The furnace is running, which elicites soft ringing sounds from the windchime hung just inside the back door. It's a good windchime, that I brought indoors for the winter.

I'm tired from church this week. There's more of the same coming up -- taxes, statements, 1099s and w2s, a luncheon Thursday, a workshop Saturday. This past Sunday was the Annual Meeting, the ramp-up to which entailed a lot of stress for everyone involved -- at times the congregation has seemed mutinous, in the past nine months; but Sunday they sat placidly and voted everything through with nary a challenge. That surmounted, unnecessary tension headaches treated, we turned around and threw a neighborhood MLK celebration tonight that was reasonably well-attended. I was really looking forward to it -- there was a strong element of music and performance -- but the whole thing failed to touch me. I enjoyed the music alot. I just didn't feel present. It wasn't the fault of the event, and I heard some people were moved to tears. I just wish I'd been there, so to speak. For the past couple of days I'm feeling a tad disconnected somehow. I assume it's just weariness.

I'm sewing a little project, something abstract out of scraps, with a simple idea in mind: Desire. Only desire -- not conquest or possession, not only lust. Just something evocative of desire. (Some of you will surely wonder how that's possible on a sewing machine. Others won't.) Pictures soon.

Lots of incomplete thoughts right now, though.

No comments: