Wednesday, May 28, 2008

owl pellets are cool

Actually, it may have been a hawk's pellet as well -- I found another one, as I was raking out under the pine tree in our front yard. I looked this up on Wikipedia, and read that in fact hawks and owls prefer to kack up their pellets under coniferous trees. What's up with that??! We have plenty of everything in our neighborhood -- hawks, owls, pines. Last winter, early on, I came out of the house one morning and found pieces of Cardinal all over the yard. That's a hawk; it hits the songbird on the dive, mid-air, and feathers fly. Cardinals are a very hopeful symbol for me, now, but I still thought that was pretty interesting. For me and the hawk, anyhow.

I won't attach a picture of my pellet. It looks like any other. Grey hair, tiny bones from probably mouse and bird together. It looks like something that went through the washer and dryer in a pocket, by mistake.

No comments: