Monday, March 22, 2010

So I finished an incredible book recently -- tore through it in a couple of days really, and was at once frustrated, bowled over, seduced, inspired. I'll probably read it again later, and really take my time. Underlining and like that. What's the book? "take this bread" by Sara Miles.

She, Miles, is a fascinating individual who writes casually about years of incredible experience as a war journalist and close observer of political culture. She speaks frankly and convincingly about her Christian conversion and her struggles with the Protestant status quo on multiple levels. Most importantly, she runs a food shelf -- in the sanctuary of a rather well-known Episcopal church -- which is why I bought the book in the first place. As a recent convert myself who also started a food shelf (hard on the heels of swallowing whole a brand new faith), I was sure she could speak to my personal experience -- and I wasn't disappointed. More on this a little later.

No comments: