Thursday, November 29, 2007

the eye of the beholder

Cathie saw the nearly-finished artwork for Desert Star on my new project desk today and said "Oh good, I like this much better in person." Cause when she saw the picture here a few days ago, it looked to her like a vagina.
Yes, all good organic imagery has to come from somewhere -- as someone who has shown and sold a lot of art in my time, I can tell you for fact that all young art students go through what I like to call their "dicks and tits" phase (sorry, those of you who are easily shocked.) They become fascinated with their physiological points of origin, and for about a year that's what they draw. They get over it.
My artwork has nothing intentional to do with female anatomy, but as I told Cathie, any "water gushing forth" imagery is bound to have something to do with birth and creation. I can't help it if archetype and Carl Jung and Freud are all in Wikipedia. God makes babies, and the apparatus that facilitates them.

Meanwhile, back in London...Al, what happened? You text-mailed pictures of your hotel room to my phone, for cryin out loud, and I haven't heard from you since. Are you lost in the Underground? Have you been swept away by some British bird? News at 11?

No comments: