Friday, September 26, 2008

the first debate

Well, I have to say I'm happy with Obama's performance in the first debate. I think he had McCain on the defensive within the first half, in addition to being more calm and self-confident overall. Obama is the superior debater, and while his answers to more than one question were less than satisfying, I'm still impressed with him. George Will referred to him as "tweedy" and professorial, but not if you're looking to compare him with Al Gore; and that kind of anti-intellectualism is unbecoming of Will. Obama needs to ease up just slightly though once he scents the kill; he took unnecessary pleasure in McCain's dumb mistakes, and drew out the rebuttals just a little bit longer than necessary towards the end. Assuming McCain doesn't get cold feet before the second debate, it will be interesting to see how he bounces back.

Man I'm tired.

No comments: