Saturday, September 6, 2008

Jen Starts A Diet

I'm not a dieter.
I've taken the idea seriously exactly once. Maybe twice.
1986.
1993.
Otherwise it's intermittent periods of good exercise habits, interspersed with years of trusting to my luck.
But I'm about to turn 40. And while I have managed to remove about eight pounds this summer, since I got the bike, there is still a bunch of extra nonsense on my hips, thighs and belly. It's the last fifteen pounds that stands between me and my ideal weight, the same 15 pounds I've been half-heartedly trying to shed since shortly after I married.
Yesterday I bought two books.
I won't say which books they are.
But neither is about gimmick diets -- no South Beach, no crazily unsustainable restrictions. Both are written by women of a certain age, for women, and both are about building up good habits that make for sustainable weight removal.
Portion control. Fun foods in measured amounts. Decently filling meals.
But I snack ALOT.
ALOT of snacking.
So this will take some getting used to, this 1200 calorie-per-day diet. Wish me luck.

No comments: