Monday, February 18, 2008

the in-between time

The time when all things are in a state of motion, but nothing is new; no new mail, no breathtaking progress on any projects, no answers to the few questions hanging out there per future plans...nada. Not for lack of work or energy on my part; just, no new nothin'.

I'm used to email slack over the weekend; most of my friends are busiest then with family and all that other living that we cram into 48 hours -- more this weekend, what with Presidents' Day. I'm definitely one of those addicted-to-email types though, and as soon as the workweek looms, I expect communication. Without it, I get antsy. Dumb dumb what with all the other worthwhile stuff on my list of things to do.

So I sew. And I catch up on the other art-related ventures, the newsletter, the shows I'm supposed to curate, the committees I serve on.

The sewing is in a difficult spot right now: I'm sewing doors into the piece, which open to reveal a picture underneath. These fabric doors need, to a certain degree, to match their immediate surroundings so that they aren't just square barn-door type interruptions in an otherwise vertical, flowing composition. That process is intermingled with some lengthening of my original surface, to make the whole thing longer -- adding strips of velvet, then sewing a continuation of the cloth strips that make the backbone of the piece -- trying to make something very calculated look spontaneous and organic. Not a moment in the process which pleases me, and it's on the "fires of desire" side of the piece (let's not call it that too many more times). The velvet that I found so sexy a few days ago has turned into a real trial (ironically), since each time I sew a new cotton piece overtop, there's a chance the cotton will shift against the nap of the velvet and slide off in some unintended direction -- which is delightful when I can work freely, but a real pain when I have to have certain colors and textures laid down in specific places. Hmm.

So -- I can't git no satisfaction. A Monday night. And a week of uncertain rhythms ahead.

No comments: