Thursday, February 14, 2008

somewhat less than

That phrase "less than" brings to mind a line from a Soul Coughing track: "Her knees thrust in one direction/like a symbol of math, a symbol meaning greater-than./I come recommended by four-out-of-five;/I'm factoring the whole plan..."

And this in turn, this song about a guy trying to convince a gal to sleep with him, reminds me of my girl-friend: who is under enormous pressure right now, dealing with a man from her workplace. Today, Valentine's Day, I received a tearful call from my friend asking me to pray for her -- because this dolt of a male has progressed from trying to seduce her, to being angry and threatening, to slandering her publicly. And she doesn't want to take action against him, doesn't want to out him to his wife or to friends they have in common, only wants to be left alone...and as various mutual acquaintances come in contact with him, and hear his venomous accusations, my friend becomes increasingly isolated. Today she simply could not leave her house, is afraid to look at her email. Gossip. Questions. Accusations.

She hasn't done anything wrong. And while I've urged her to defend herself in various ways, it makes me so very angry for her -- I know this guy. He's a lawyer, he's not stupid. In the past he has been supportive of her during challenging times on the job; but all the while it was because he hoped to possess her -- and when she turned him down, he commenced to reveal a sickness and ugliness I don't think anyone suspected. I'm grateful that she has a good husband, but I pray that her sense of self isn't shaken by this guy -- she knows this is undeserved, but I wonder if she doesn't still blame herself somehow. When she listened to his troubles as a friend, when she encouraged him as a co-worker -- asking herself if somehow she gave him the wrong idea. Asking herself if she "asked for it" -- the eternal culpability of the female. He tells people now that she tried to seduce him -- and in going public first he has defined the story. This accusation is enough, for some people. They don't ask themselves why a lawyer would commit slander. All the while, she in her work as a counselor and a leader is undermined.

I haven't really had the energy to sew since yesterday morning. Tomorrow will be a busy day, as will Saturday. My son had a restless night last night and looks to continue this pattern tonight. So...today has been somewhat less than perfect. But, hopefully...

No comments: