Friday, July 25, 2008

the trouble with unicorns

"The trouble with unicorns" is that it sounds much better than "The trouble with drinking," which is the real reason I'm awake. Awake and wishing I had deployed better sense after drink #2. Ah yes, Psycho Suzi's -- home of the sweet, tasty multi-booze whatevers that come in cute carafes with cherries and little plastic monkeys on top. I should have brought my monkeys home with me -- there were three of them. Not only would they have perched atop my laptop screen and mocked me deservingly as I typed, but I could have sewn them down to something later on. Drat. But I guess I was too busy thinking about the bike trip home. A long trip, by normal reckoning, since I was being extra careful. And holding my skirt down with one hand, having forgotten to don my leggings before embarking. Which turned out to be not such a big deal, and more comfortable besides. Assuming I didn't offend anyone.

Three monkeys. Hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil.

The good news is that I had a great time. And got home before the sun set, in one piece; sort of a miracle considering all the construction and sealcoating going on between there and here. Loose gravel everywhere, signs and cones randomly blocking the areas adjacent to busy streets. I actually rode under one of those signs -- I'd done it sober, so I knew it was possible, though I was tempting fate a tiny bit. Had my helmet on, just in case.

So now, here I am, two cups of coffee three glasses of water two ibuprofen and a handful of snacks later, wishing I had kept it to two monkeys. From now on, this will be my measure of social-outing sensibility: how many monkeys. Something to keep in mind for next week, since I've convinced my church buddies to once again hold an all-staff meeting at Suzi's.

No comments: