Sunday, July 6, 2008

working off an argument

It never ceases to surprise me, the lengths to which we will go to prove ourselves right in our assumptions. In the world where faith, culture, art and emotion all intertwine to form tangles of creation both beautiful and dangerous at every turning, it can be a risk-taking merely to point and say, "Look at that!"

I suppose it's been a while since anyone took a solid whack at me for my position. It came out of left field, and I felt the sting -- I never had a chance to defend myself, and it's tough to be condemned for a position you never got the chance to explain, by someone whose opinion means the world to you. It's a complicated issue I'm referring to, and I'm too tired to reconstruct the circumstances right now. Suffice it to say that some people feel so strongly about certain things that if you aren't resolutely in line with their particular extremis of thought and opinion, then you are just WRONG. And it doesn't matter what you think, or who you are to them. It's something I have to think about, to find the right intellectual handle for it, to learn from. Right now I guess I'm mainly feeling sorry for myself.

No comments: